Humantay Lake – Salkantay Mountain Hike
Day 1: Cusco – Soraypampa – Humantay Lake – Soyroccocha
Your Andean mountain adventure begins at 5 am when we pick you up at your hotel and drive in our private van for 3.5 hours to Soraypampa. Along the way, you pass through two picturesque indigenous villages called Iscuchaca and Limatambo. In addition, you will have spectacular views of stunning valleys and the snow-capped famous Salkantay Mountain.
At the trailhead Soraypampa, we enjoy some snacks while admiring the exhilarating views of the glaciers of Humantay (5,900m/19,356ft) and Salkantay (6,217m/20,396ft). Putting on our hiking shoes, we take a 1-hour hike up to HUMANTAY LAKE enjoying the amazing views around us. Upon arrival at Humantay, we take time to explore the lake and enjoy its beauty. After time at Humantay Lake, we head back to the trailhead at Soraypampa and then hike for 2 more hours to our campsite located at Soyroccocha. You have your tents completely ready and set. There we enjoy hot drinks and appetizers before dinner. We get to sleep early, ready for the next day’s hike.
- Meals included: Lunch, afternoon tea, dinner
- Accommodation: Camping facilities
- Distance: 10kms/6 miles
- Time: 6hrs approximately
- Difficulty: Moderate
Day 2: Soyroccocha – Salkantay Pass – Glacial lake – Cusco
After a hearty, gourmet breakfast, get ready to take a moderate climb on your second day of trekking. Within an hour, you will reach the highest point of the trek (4,650m/15,367ft). From here, we relax and admire nature in its most impressive form, awed by the massive SALKANTAY. (6,217m/20,717ft), Humantay, and Huayanay snow-capped mountains. You will also enjoy the glacial rivers, white with minerals, and the small picturesque lakes. Off the main trekking route, we take a side route for half an hour to enjoy the panoramic and truly exquisite turquoise Salkantay Lake. Hiking back down on the same route, we arrive at the trailhead, where we have our lunch. Take a few more pictures of the beautiful mountains before we take our van back to Cusco, arriving at your hotel at about 6 pm.
- Meals included: Breakfast, lunch
- Distance: 12kms/9 miles
- Time: 7hrs approximately
- Difficulty: Challenge
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE HUMANTAY LAKE & SALKANTAY MOUNTAIN TREK?
- Pick-up at your hotel the morning of your trek
- Private transport from Cusco to Soraypampa trailhead and back to Cusco.
- English-speaking experienced professional guide
- Comfortable tents with two people in a four-person tent
- Foam mattresses and pillows
- Meals as indicated in the itinerary (optional vegetarian food with prior request)
- All camping equipment such as dining tent, table, chairs, kitchen, and toilet tent
- Separate tent for our staff to sleep in
- First Aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle
- Pack horses (for equipment and personal items) including horsemen
- 7 kgs of your items such as extra clothes, sleeping pad, and sleeping bag will be carried by our packhorses (count 3kg for the sleeping bag and sleeping pad, leaving 4kg for personal items)
- Boiled water for drinking and washing purposes
- Plastic poncho and daypack rain cover
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED IN THE HUMANTAY LAKE & SALKANTAY MOUNTAIN TREK?
- Sleeping bag adequate for the temperature of -5°C $20
- Air Mattresses $20
- Trekking Poles $15
- Additional horses for extra personal luggage above that of the personal 7kg allowance
- Tips for the crew, guide, cook, and porters of Apple Travel Peru
The Humantay Lake and Salkantay mountain trek is available on any date that it’s best for you, as long as we have a minimum of 2 hikers!
GROUP PRICE – $297 USD per person
PRIVATE PRICE – $327 USD per person
This price includes a pack horse who will carry your belongings up to 7 kilos. We will provide you with a duffel bag, in which you can put your things.
We provide large Eureka 4-person tents for every 2 trekkers.
- Sleeping Bag –$15 USD per person per trek (clean and warm)
- Air Mattress –$20 USD per person per trek (Therm-a-rest mattresses)
- Walking Poles –$20 USD per pair per trek (Professional poles that can be extended)
ADDED VALUES FOR FREE
- TRANSFER – from the airport to the hotel (Cusco Only)
- DUFFEL BAG AND LINER BAGS – included in the trekking price
- BOILED WATER is included along the Inca Trail
- OXYGEN TANK will be available along the trek
- SMALL PILLOW
WHY APPLE TRAVEL
WHY CHOOSE APPLE TRAVEL?
APPLE Travel Peru is a family-owned travel agency and a local tour operator based in Cusco with personal experience over many years of trekking. Apple Travel Peru is a 100% Cusqueñian Company without any shareholders.
Our dream as a locally based company is to create small personalized tours & treks strictly and only operated by local professional staff catering to PERSONALIZED and HIGH-QUALITY SERVICE.
We take pride in our reputation as a RESPONSIBLE & SUSTAINABLE tour operator. Our staff is our extended family. We ensure they are supported financially by offering them a fair salary. We are proud of our team! Without them, we wouldn’t be able to offer the best service and breathtaking experiences to our clients.
APPLE Travel Peru knows how important it is to trust in a reliable honest operator to create your adventure of a lifetime while in Peru. Check out our reviews and certificates of excellence on, TripAdvisor for yourself!
To ensure a more personalized service for our guests, at Apple Travel Peru we have a policy that our groups will not exceed 8 people. This fact alone sets us apart from other companies that operate departures with bigger groups.
OUR TOP TOUR GUIDES
We are so proud of our guides! They are highly professional and speak fluent English. They are very knowledgeable and passionate about Inca heritage and history. Our guides are dedicated to continuous personal and professional development. They research to ensure that you receive accurate and recognized theories in Inca and Andean culture. Our crew is fun-loving, great sports, and well-educated. They all hold degrees in one of the following: Archaeology, Tourism, Botany, History, or Anthropology.
Our fabulous chefs receive high compliments from all our clients for their delicious and abundant gourmet-style meals. Peruvian and international cuisine is prepared by our professional and dedicated cooks from a mixture of local and exotic produce. If you have dietary restrictions or food allergies, we can cater to your needs!
Our team (guides, cooks, porters, horsemen) and our equipment are what make apple Travel Peru stand out from all the competitors…. For all the adventures we hike, we include the following items:
- OUR TENTS: Enjoy a good night’s sleep in our 4 season EUREKA Timberline tents. All our tents are 4-person tents, but ONLY sleep 2, leaving lots of room to spread out comfortably and store your duffel bags. They also include a little vestibule in front, giving you some extra outdoor space to leave your boots and walking sticks so you don’t have to bring in dirt.
- OUR MATS: They are used to separate and insulate you from the ground. They all are made of foam.
- AIR MATTRESSES: They can be rented for $15 USD.
- OUR KITCHEN & DINING TENTS: The dining tent is used as our meeting room at mealtime. It’s a place to enjoy our meals and the company of fellow trekkers.
- OUR TABLES & CHAIRS: The interior of the dining room includes tables and chairs with two doors on each side, which are adaptable to weather conditions.
- DUFFEL BAGS: Will be provided at briefing time the night before the trek.
- MORE: Pillows, backpack, rain covers, survivor t-shirts, hot shower, and the biochemical camping toilet, are provided on the trek.
OUR SERVICE PROJECTS
At Apple Travel Peru, we have always believed that we should give back to the local isolated communities. Therefore, as part of our commitment to responsible tourism, we always do many service projects and hire locally.
Apple Travel Peru is so proud to be able to support these people, not only employing them but also going back to our grassroots as they share with their families. It makes us happy to have this holistic approach with our highland employees and their families!
Please read carefully the following information; it will help with your questions about our services and the Humantay Lake and Salkantay mountain trek.
ARRIVAL IN CUSCO
You will be greeted at Cusco airport and taken to your hotel, please ensure that you inform us of your full flight details at least 14 days before the trek start. Look for our representative holding an Apple Travel Peru board at the exit from the arrival terminal.
Your briefing will take place the night before your trek. It will be held at our office at 6 or 6:30 pm, depending on your confirmation email details. The office is located at Calle Garcilaso 2010 Office 2012.
CAN I STORE MY LUGGAGE AT YOUR OFFICE?
Of course! During the Humantay Lake and Salkantay mountain trek, your main luggage can be stored at our office or at your hotel, whichever is more convenient for you.
HOW TO BOOK THE HUMANTAY LAKE 2-Day TREK
FIRST, to book your Humantay Lake and Salkantay mountain trek, we need you to fill out our booking form by clicking on BOOK NOW on our homepage or click here on the link BOOK NOW.
Please be ready with the following information (FROM EACH PARTICIPANT in your group).
- Personal information (your full name, exactly as on your passport):
- Passport number
- D.OB. (dd/mm/yyyy)
SECOND, we require a deposit of US$211.00 per person. You can make your deposit by clicking on the VISA or PAYPAL symbols on the top of our home page, or you can click on the VISA or PAYPAL symbols on our booking page.
WHAT ABOUT THE BALANCE?
If you would like to avoid the high credit card fees in Peru, you may pay in cash at our office (US dollars or Peruvian soles) here in Cusco. There are many ATMS within the historical center to withdraw money. You can also pay by VISA or PAYPAL online but you will have to pay a 5.5% service fee, charged by VISA and PAYPAL. To pay your balance through PAYPAL, you need to log into your PAYPAL account and our email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
MAY I CHANGE THE DEPARTURE DATE AFTER THE TICKETS HAVE BEEN BOUGHT?
If you need to change the date of your trek, please notify us as soon as possible. Fees may apply depending on how close it is to the departure date.
DO I NEED MY ORIGINAL PASSPORT?
Yes! You have to bring your original passport and it is very important that it is the same passport number you sent to us to book your trek, other entrances, and reservations. In case you are renewing your passport or changing your name, go ahead and send us your old passport information to secure your permit, and we can change it when you get your new passport number or updated your name for a fee of $25 USD per person. We must have a copy of your old and new passports to make the change. Before you change your passport keep a copy of your old one.
If you do not wish to pay this fee you will need to bring both passports to Peru with you. You can enter Peru with your new passport but you will need to show both passports, old and new to be to enter the Inca Trail, Machu Picchu, or the train. If you do not have both you will not be allowed to enter, Machu Picchu or get on the train.
WHAT IS THE WEATHER LIKE?
The weather is very unpredictable and it’s difficult to foresee. We recommend that you plan always dress in layers to facilitate adjusting to the quickly changing weather conditions.
HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE THERE PER GROUP?
The maximum group size is 8 persons. Our groups are usually between 2-6 people. Apple Travel Peru specializes in SMALL PRIVATE groups and provides personalized service.
HIKING THE HUMANTAY LAKE
The evening before you start your trek, you will be given a SMALL DUFFEL BAG to pack your clothes for the next four days. Your weight allowance is up to 7kg/14 lbs. Your team of pack horses will carry your duffel bag for you, together with the food and camping gear. It’s important to be aware, that you will not have access to your items in the duffel bag until the end of each day, as the porters will always be ahead of the group. During the Humantay Lake and Salkantay mountain trek, you need a day backpack big enough to carry your personal belongings such as a warm jacket, a rain jacket, your camera, sunscreen, snacks, water, etc. A 30 to 50L backpack is sufficient.
IS THE HUMANTAY LAKE 2 DAYS DIFFICULT, DO I NEED TO BE FIT?
The trail is certainly not easy but you do not need to be an athlete or a trekking expert to complete it. Fitness is important for the trek, and obviously the more fit you are the more you will enjoy the trail and the more chance you will have to take in the scenery and appreciate the Inca ruins dotted along the way. If you do not exercise regularly, it is advisable to do extra walking, hiking, or some kind of aerobic activity in the months leading up to your trip. This trek is from a moderate to difficult level.
WHAT ABOUT TOILETS ON THE TREKS?
This has been highly appreciated by most of our clients, especially by our trekkers who want a private, clean, and sanitary toilet! Apple Travel Peru toilet facilities have an individual tent and a camping toilet with a seat. Check out the picture, which illustrates how we set up our camping toilet on the trek by using this link: picture of toilet tent. Our toilet is always set up a comfortable distance from our campsite. At night if you need to use the toilet it is readily accessible and clean, unlike the dirty facilities supplied by the government.
WHAT HAPPENS IF I AM UNABLE TO FINISH?
In the unlikely scenario that you are unable to finish the trek due to a health issue, Apple Travel Peru will assist you to the nearest town for help with transportation. We always carry oxygen on the trek for any respiratory problems In extreme cases, a helicopter pick-up can be arranged at your own expense. (Travel insurance required). There are no refunds in the unlikely situation that you are unable to finish the trek.
If you’re happy with the services provided, a tip – though not compulsory – is appreciated. While it may not be customary in your country, it’s of great significance for the people who will take care of you during the trek. It inspires them to give excellent service and is an entrenched feature of the tourism industry across many Apple Travel Peru destinations. Of course, you are free to tip more or less as you feel appropriate, depending on your perception of the quality and the length of your trip. Remember, a tip is not compulsory and should only be given when you receive excellent service.
ARE WE SUSTAINABLE?
Yes, we are a local, sustainable & responsible tourism operator that incorporates universal principles of tourism: protect the environment and benefit the local communities by respecting their culture and religion. With this in mind, we have trained all our local staff to know and understand, and respect the places and the local people.
WHAT YOU SHOULD TAKE WITH YOU
- Original passport (it has to be the same one you have used for booking your trek)
- Valid University card (if you booked as a student)
- Good daypack (the smaller, the better)
- Water storage: 2-3L (reusable, not disposable bottles)
- Comfortable hiking boots with ankle support
- Sleeping bag (can be rented from Apple Travel)
- Headlamp: essential
- Toilet paper
WHAT TO PUT IN YOUR DUFFEL BAG
As a Direct Local Tour operator, we provide you with a duffel bag at your briefing and INCLUDE an extra pack horse which will carry up to 7 kgs or 14lbs including your 2.5kg sleeping bag, mattress, and extra clothing.
- 1 t-shirt
- 1 hiking pants at least
- 2 sets of undergarments
- 2 sets of hiking socks
- 2 fleece/ thermals, depending on the season
- Warm clothes, down jacket — depending on the season
- Warm gloves
- Comfortable shoes for camp
- Quickdry towel. We provide small ones, but you might prefer something larger.
- A small bottle of soap: we provide warm water each day to wash.
- Battery Charger: No electricity along the trek
- Large plastic bags will be provided at the office to line your duffel
- Sleeping bag: It has to be at least -15ºC – This can be rented from us.
- Face moisturizer
- Hand sanitizer
- Wet wipes
- Toothbrush and paste
- Personal medications
- First aid kit: band-aids, moleskin, etc.
WHAT TO PUT IN YOUR BACKPACK
We highly recommend a small backpack of 30 to 40L for hiking during the day. The remainder of your belongings will be in your duffel bag carried by the horses.
- Water: Please supply your own water until the first lunch spot, then we will provide you with cold boiled water at every meal time. Please bring your canteens.
- Sun hat
- Headlamp: essential
- Wool hat
- Rain gear
- Snacks like chocolate bars, cereal bars, or any dry fruits
- Rain plastic poncho (provided by apple)
- Hand sanitizer
- Toilet paper and a small plastic bag for waste
- Extra money for souvenirs, drinks & tip
2 Days$ 297 USD per person Book Now